Sunday, June 3, 2012

The mysterious green bridge...

My sister wanted to go visit a friend in Florence, OR, but it seems she feels nervous traveling by herself outside of the Springfield/Eugene area, so she requested I accompany her. Since she so rarely spends time with me, I agreed.

En route, she was telling me about this green arched bridge which was supposedly near a good agate-hunting bed, and she said she understood it to be by Big Creek. I had done a Google search the night before, because I know I've seen a green bridge somewhere along Highway 101, and found a photo of the bridge at Big Creek... and it did indeed look green.

However, when we arrived at Big Creek, the bridge did not look green, nor did it have any real parking, so we continued on to Stonefield Beach.

From above, that bridge didn't look green, either, but we were running out of time to beachcomb, so we went down to the water anyway and sought agates, walking first to the north end of the accessible beach and noting how the sand erosion had covered much of the stones for which the beach was named.

Looking east from the creek, the supports under the bridge are a greenish tone, so we decided that maybe we were at the right place. I found six agates to her single find (I gave my fourth agate to her because I didn't want her to go home empty-handed, and promptly after that she spotted her own), and we had a lovely time looking at tidepools along the southern edge of the beach.

We're still stumped as to the location of that mysterious green bridge. Google isn't helping me so much today when I search, but I'm not giving up. I know I've seen a green arched bridge somewhere along 101.

Any ideas, anyone?

No comments: