Thursday, June 11, 2009

Transplanting time!

This morning I got up to get my older boy off to school--- his last day of first grade! Normally I would go back to bed afterward, especially since I went to bed at 3am (yikes!), but I glanced at my garden as I was going back into the house, and realized I really needed to get my corn and popcorn into the ground, not to mention my tomatoes and squash! So I grabbed my wood-hauling gloves and headed back outside.

In an hour I had transplanted my yellow pear tomatoes (four of them altogether, although they were two to a pot and transplanted that way), 20 corn plants and a total of 47 popcorn plants!

Okay, I have to explain that, don't I?

I love growing popcorn even more than I love eating it, if that's possible! I have such neat memories of my dad wringing the dried popcorn kernels from the cob, and last year I finally tried growing my own. I found the popcorn seeds from Ed Hume's collection--- only place I could find them (it was later in the season).

Well, I went away for a bit before finishing this blog, and I've got my squashes planted as well. Off to start some more squashes I don't already have, plus possibly some lettuce mix, carrots and radishes, and maybe some more tomatoes. I might directly sow the lettuce mix among the strawberries, which were transplanted two years ago, a thinning from a neighbor's strawberry patch (I've already picked a pint, with at least that much more ripening soon!).

I'd love to have some pumpkins growing, but my hubby has been adamantly against pumpkins ever since the first year we were married, when I had my first garden of pumpkins take over the backyard! *lol* I think I'll sneak 'em in next year!

No comments: