Monday, March 24, 2008

SOLV's Great Oregon Beach Cleanup!

For those of you who are interested, this coming Saturday is the SOLV Great Oregon Beach Cleanup, from 10am-1pm. I'll be there, with my youngest tucked snugly into his jogging stroller and my girlfriend and myself picking up trash.

Jubee and I go whenever possible, but sometimes we lose track of when the Cleanup is scheduled. The last one I can personally recall, in September of 2006, we ended up there on the same day just by coincidence, and my older boy, then nearly 5 years old, vanished. I was heavily pregnant with my youngest, and was frantically searching for him, to the point of crawling up sand dunes on my hands and knees because I couldn't deal with falling once more in the soft sand. The wonderful organizers of the Cleanup in that area jumped in to help search, and my Squid was found within 15 minutes--- he had wandered around the building into the parking lot of the motel, and a window-washer brought him into the office, where they heard us calling for him.

So come join the fun, and feel the sense of accomplishment! Be sure to bring gloves, to keep your hands clean, and get a bag from the organizers, and help Stop Oregon Litter and Vandalism!

One word of advice: BEFORE YOU START PICKING UP TRASH, walk as far as you plan to go during your cleanup, and then start. I’ve done the opposite before--- picked up trash on my way from my car--- and it gets very heavy before you decide you’ve traveled far enough... and then you still have to retrace your steps back to the car!

Hope to see you there!

No comments: